Solar panels (PV)
Generate cheap, green electricity from sunlight
Solar panel installations, also known as solar photovoltaics (PV), work by harnessing the sun's energy using photovoltaic cells. These cells don't need direct sunlight to work - they still generate electricity on a cloudy day & are even more efficient in winter! . The cells convert the sunlight into electricity, which is then used to run household appliances and lighting etc.
The benefits of solar electricity
- Cut your electricity bills: sunlight is free, so once you've paid for the initial installation your electricity costs will be greatly reduced.
- Get paid for the electricity you generate: the Government's Feed-In Tariffs pay you for every unit you generate, even if you use it! (currently 15.44p a unit - more than what you buy it at)
- Sell the electricity back to the grid: The governemnent assumes you will use 50% of the electricity you generate and will pay a further rate on the basis you are suppliying the surplus back into the electricity grid!
- Cut your carbon footprint and help protect the world for future generations : solar electricity is green, renewable and doesn't release any harmful carbon dioxide or pollutants. A typical home solar PV system could save around a tonne of carbon dioxide per year - that's around 30 tonnes over its lifetime!
A 3.5kWp system should generate around 3,000 kilowatt hours of electricity a year - about three quarters of a typical household's electricity needs. It will save around a tonne of carbon dioxide every year.
Using the Feed-In Tariff scheme it could generate income of around £510 a year (based on a 3.5kWp solar PV system eligible for a generation tariff of 15.44p/kWh). You will get paid for both the electricity you generate and use, and what you export to the grid.
There is also the potentially massive saving on your electric bill! With the average customer using 3300 kWh a year and based on the system generating 3000 kWh that leaves very little electricty to pay for!
So in total you could benefit from:
- Payments of £510.
- Savings of £550.
- Equalling - £1060 per year.
Solar PV requires little maintenance - you'll just need to keep the panels reasonably clean and make sure trees don't overshadow them. In the UK panels that are angled at 15° or more have the added benefit of being cleaned by rainfall to ensure optimal performance.
So what are you waiting for… contact us for your free survey and performance estimate!